ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Administrative Tasks

2008-08-22 13:55:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Administrative Tasks
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:54:01 -0400
Curtis,
   I'm not sure if these fall into managing a system category, but they
are things that I have dealt with on a periodic basis.

Customer service
- Gary calls and leaves a voice message asking for a restore of the file
"veryimportant.txt" in his home directory because he accidently deleted
it.  A quick search of the files backed up do not show that file and a
voice mail to Gary asks him to confirm the file name.  He responds that
the file may have been deleted some time ago - not sure when, but he is
sure it was there last month and it may be called something else - If we
could just restore everything, that would be fine.

Working with Management
- Can you explain to management in 5 minutes the different data
retention settings and how they interact with each other?
- Can you explain why and how TSM may maintain two copies of data in
primary and copy pools and why you shouldn't just eject your primary
pool tapes to save library space rather than purchasing additional
library space?
- Demonstrate to management why the incremental-forever methodology of
TSM is superior to the Daily/Weekly/Monthly methodology of other data
recovery products.

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.