ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration on a Test server

2008-08-15 11:06:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration on a Test server
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:05:31 -0400
We don't use DNS references. We use specific IP addresses to force
communications onto a private connection/subnet between the servers.

Sounds like I need to go with the "unplug from the network" method before
I start the server up and run the expire.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I am glad I asked.

Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
08/15/2008 10:54 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration on a Test server

This is exactly what I do when testing a new TSM upgrade.  I restore a DB
to our test server, but before
starting it I put bogus entries in the /etc/hosts file for each of our
production tsm instances and AIX servers, including
the library manager (we have dns aliases for each TSM instance).  That way
the test system is completely
 isolated with no chance of trying to  contact a production server.

TEST BY TRYING TO PING the production servers/instances!!!!!
We use AIX.  One thing to watch our for is that the default lookup order
is
DNS first, hosts file second.  (at
that's how our systems were)  I had to change the search order in the
/etc/netsvc.conf file to do local search
first, then DNS.

Rick

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 08/15/2008
10:37:46 AM:

> When we did our upgrade testing we did not allow the test server to talk
> to the production server by creating a false entry in the hosts file.
> We also did not allow our test server to connect to the libraries.  This
> may be the paranoid approach, but we did not break anything.

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.