ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] FW: [ADSM-L] Reclamation Tape Count...

2008-08-13 09:25:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] FW: [ADSM-L] Reclamation Tape Count...
From: Andy Huebner <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:24:04 -0500
1,000,000 passes @ 512 per week is about 37 years.  If I remember right
an LTO4 is a 256 track serpentine tape, two complete writes per week is
512 passes.  We do not have many tapes that are fully written twice per
week.  Shoe shining is only going to double the passes for that section
of tape for that write, so maybe we get it down to 17 years for parts of
the tape.  I hope to change tape technology before I reach 17 years.
Or 1 full pass every week plus one extra pass every 11 days is about 42
years.

Andy Huebner