ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question on tape format

2008-07-30 17:43:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question on tape format
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:42:47 -0400
The short answer is that unencrypted TSM tapes are totally readable by a
determined black hat.  No, they can't be imported by another TSM server, and no
the format isn't published by IBM.  But the format has been cracked by at least
two COMMERCIAL products:

www.indexengines.com

They sell an appliance that you can feed TSM/NBU/NW/ARCServe/BE tapes to.  Not
only will they be read, it will generate a FULL TEXT searchable index of the
content on those tapes.  (You'll be able to say "give me all the emails/files
with this word in them.)

All a blackhat needs to do is buy one of these boxes and the appropriate tape
drive and they've got your data.

www.sepaton.com

While this wouldn't be used to steal data, they the SEPATON VTL has also
cracked the format, as they use it to do their content-aware deduplication.
That wouldn't be possible if they hadn't already cracked the format enough to
pull it apart and look at the files inside it.

Finally, if these two companies could crack the format with NO HELP from IBM,
so could a determined black hat.  Yes, it would take them a long time, but it's
within the realm of possibility.

All of the comments in the QuickFacts guide are also true.  The are all sorts
of difficulties with reading tapes outside a backup product, and the only true
way to be sure of the security of your data is to encrypt it.

Curtis Preston  |  VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 |  C: +1 760 419 5838 |  F: F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com |  www.glasshouse.com
Infrastructure :: Optimized