ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Sun hardware

2008-07-30 01:11:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Sun hardware
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:10:55 -0500
Been using a fibre channel connected Sun/STK SL500 library since January
with HP LTO4 drives. Works great with TSM 5.5. Server runs AIX.

There was a mind-shift, though, when it came to managing LTO4 tapes,
because they hold so much data. (1.2tb each at realistic compression
ratios.) Group collocation is an absolute necessity, if you're going to
collcoate at all. Reclamation is a much longer process, and actually
causes I/O strain on the TSM database, because a LTO4 tape can hold
millions of client files, and it's fast. Reclamation file stgpool on
disk turned out to be an outmoded idea - it doubles net database I/Os,
which matters when you have several million files on one tape. Plus you
need 600gb of disk for it. You have to be more careful about managing
scratch tapes, because if you get caught with not enough (like my
colleagues did while I was on vacation) it takes a while to dig yourself
out of that hole via relcamation.

               Academic Computing & Communications Center
===== "Standards are great. That's why there are so many of them." =====