ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] GENERATE BACKUPSET speed question

2008-07-23 05:12:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] GENERATE BACKUPSET speed question
From: Sung Lee <sung.lee AT WACHOVIA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:48:52 -0400
Just to provide you with some stat information

backup set generation without table to 3592 took about 6 hours to process
577 GB with 8.5 million items.
The most of our data are collocated.

I would think that if you have a huge TSM DB and data is on many tapes not
collocated there would be alot of processing that goes into it.
Since you didn't mention what LTO drives (I will assume you are using
LTO1).  Let's say LTO1 has max write speed of 15 MB/s that is 54 GB/h.  So
to write 50 GB should have taken about an hour in perfect working
condition.

Could it be tape drive issue?

Thanks,

Sung Y.  Lee

David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
07/22/2008 11:32 AM

Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] GENERATE BACKUPSET speed question

I have TSM server 5.4.3.0 with IBM 3584 Tape library with LTO drives.
I have never used Generate Backupset and decided to do some
testing to see how long it takes to create, for instance.

I am using LTO tape for the backupset, and using one entire
node, not individual filespaces and use toc=no.
In 2 days with several nodes, I have gotten basically nowhere.
In 6 hours it has "generated" just a couple of GB of data of
total requirement of about 50GB.

>From watching stats with "q process", it seems that one or both
of the following are happening:

A.  It is scanning the entire TSM DB for what is needed, instead of
just that nodes data.

and/or

B.  When it mounts an input tape, it is reading the entire tape instead
of just "seeking" to where the required data is.

I have no performance issues otherwise with tapes, TSM DB or
 backups/restores.

Could someone shed some light on this slowness issue and how
 to speed it up?

Thanks,
David Longo

#####################################
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain private, proprietary, or legally privileged information.
No privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you
receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it,
and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you
are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to
monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views
or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the
individual sender, except (1) where the message states such views
or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;  and (2) the sender
is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.

ForwardSourceID:NT0000DCDE