ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Weird duplicate device in Win2003 install

2008-07-22 17:44:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Weird duplicate device in Win2003 install
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:43:23 -0400
Yes, this is a zoning thing and you are seeing the same devices multiple
times.
- I'm not sure about Windows, but in AIX, if you are using the atape
drive, one of the devices is actually the proper one to use for multiple
paths.  You just use that one and ignore the others.  You should check the
Atape manual for Windows to see how you should handle that.  (I'm assuming
you are using Atape with the LTO4 drives.
- Or you can simply do what we do, and rezone so there is only one path
the each device.   It looks nicer this way, and we don't need the
redundancy.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
NRodolfich AT CMAONTHEWEB DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
07/22/2008 04:52 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Weird duplicate device in Win2003 install

Hello All!

Thanks for your help!!

I am an old UNIX guy doing a Windows 2003 TSM 5.5.1 install.

I have an x3650 system with a TS3310 library (4 x LTO4) and a DS4700
storage array.

When I install the device driver for the library and boot the system, it
comes back with 2 medium changers and 8 drives in the device manager
rather
than the 1 medium changer and 4 drives I really have. My SAN guy seems to
think that this is OK but I have never seen it this way in UNIX land.
Could
it be that the zoning on the switch allows multiple paths to be seen by
the
system and therefore it is trying to identify the same drive twice.
ShouldI leave it this way. If not what is the solution?

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.