ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Deletion of onsite tape

2008-07-18 10:48:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Deletion of onsite tape
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:46:54 -0400
On Jul 18, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Richard Mochnaczewski wrote:

1) Why would TSM report the restore being successful when there was
still data on it ? Could it be that running an audit vol would have
fixed the volume against database and there was no data lost, just a
volume messing up the TSM database pointers ?

The Restore Volume command likes to return successful status even if
the whole volume could not be restored, just to test your
mettle.  :-)  IBM Technote 1142533 corroborates this.  I gather that
the user did not first run the command with Preview=Yes to uncover any
circumstances which could prevent full success.  Or, did they try
several Move Data operations to see if the data could be gotten off
the tape, though with a struggle?  (See "Tape problems handling" in
ADSM QuickFacts.)  If Backup Stgpool regimens were not up to date,
then there will likely be some files on the volume which could not be
recovered, which is always possible, no matter how diligent we may try
to be; hence the importance of trying several copy operations first.

See the good TSM description of the ANR1256W message for further info.

  my sympathies,  Richard Sims