ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Feedback on others environments

2008-07-17 14:59:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Feedback on others environments
From: Sean English <sean.english AT WACHOVIA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:56:05 -0400
VTL has been looked, but never decided upon.  And believe it or not, we
have moved storage agents to 10 G networks.  The rest of theses storage
agents are huge servers that are backing up at least 800 GB (and in some
instances 5 to 10 TBs).  We have some storage agents that do full backups
on the weekends and can easily back up between 20 and 30 TBs.

Thanks
Sean

Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
07/17/2008 02:50 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

On Jul 17, 2008, at 20:33 , Sean English wrote:

> Just wanted to get feedback on what others are doing in terms of
> their TSM
> environments where library sharing, IBM libraries, and drives are
> involved.  We have the following setup in one of our major
> datacenters:
>
> 14 (with growth projected up to 19 or 20) TSM instances running on
> p570's
> with AIX 5.3 and TSM server 5.4.3.0.
> 1 library manager managing all these library clients. LM has 78 drives
> connected to it (72 in one 3584 libary and 6 in a long term data
> retention
> 3584 library)
> LM also, currently, has 2100+ path statements representing all the
> current
> library clients and storage agents. We also have the potential of
> adding
> 200 more storage agents to this library framework (moving from 9940 to
> 3592).
> We backed up ~50 TBs a day.
> Just wanted to see what others were doing in similar environments.

I wouldn't zone all drives to all servers and lanfree clients, 18-26
drives zoned to a server or client gives you a high enough probability
that at the appropriate time a drive is available. This will reduce
the number of paths to maintain and the complexity of the zone db.

I guess your situation is the one situation that you want to look into
a vtl or other tape virtualisation solution, so you don't have to buy
a tape drive for each server, client and whatever.

Question is, do you really need all those lanfree clients, or is it
cheaper and to invest in a bit of 10 GE network kit and use the LAN
and have TSM do what it's good at: storage hierarchies.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl