ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape question.

2008-07-17 12:07:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape question.
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:06:30 -0400
TSM will write data until it hits the physical end of tape.
When you check a tape in, the "estimated capacity" is set by the device
class definition; you can change that to anything you want, reasonable or
not, with UPDATE DEVCLASS.
Regardless, TSM will use the full capacity of the LTO4 cartridge.

If your barcodes and/or the estimated capacity is not right, the only thing
that gets messed up is the "% utilized" of a tape in "filling" status is
less nearly correct. It's never more than a SWAG anyway, for a filling tape,
since TSM can't know ahead of time how much the next chunk of data will be
compressed by the drive.