ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Moving TSM data.

2008-07-14 19:52:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Moving TSM data.
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:50:48 -0400
We need a bit more info -
By "disk storage", what do you mean?  Do you mean your TSM DB, or your disk
pool?  (and is it a random or sequential pool?)

Assuming you want to use a network drive in your TSM disk storage pool, that
will work fine.  Just define your volumes using the UNC name for the drives,
as in \\hpserver\d$\tsmdir\volname1.dsm

In order for that to work, your TSM server must be running under an account
that has network rights (i.e., not the SYSTEM account).

(And while this does work, remember that it is most likely going to be
SLOWER to access than before; you are going across the network to access
that disk pool volume using the CIFS file-sharing protocol, which in my
experience is not real fast compared to direct SAN speeds.  And it makes
your TSM server availability dependent on your HP server availability.)

Don't robocopy the data, or use anything outside of TSM; the appropriate way
to move TSM data is with TSM tools.  Just define your disk
pool volumes, mark the old volumes as READONLY, then use MOVE DATA to clean
off the old volumes.