ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM DB backup to FILE vols - safely

2008-07-09 13:39:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM DB backup to FILE vols - safely
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:38:19 -0400
On Jul 9, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Roger Deschner wrote:

As part of a major upgrade, I am considering moving some TSM DB
backups
to FILE volumes. LTO4 tapes hold a terrabyte, and the incrementals, in
particular, are wasting a LOT of tape. I'm thinking of doing full DB
backups to tape, and incrementals to disk FILE volumes.

The manual says you can back up the TSM Database to either TAPE, or to
Virtual Volumes on another TSM server. It doesn't mention FILE
volumes.
I seem to remember somebody long ago saying you should not consider
that. OK, so what's wrong with backing up the TSM Database to FILE
volumes? ...

What manual?  What section?
The Backup DB command documentation (Admin Ref manual) stipulates a
sequential access device class, which obviously includes File type.

   Richard Sims