ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] RECLAIM process with one tape drive

2008-06-24 15:13:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] RECLAIM process with one tape drive
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:12:17 -0400
On Jun 24, 2008, at 2:40 PM, Joaquim Carmona wrote:

Kelly and Richard,

I understand your point, instead of reclamaing space I should
reclaim a new tape drive!

As you know, things are not that easy, so, until I got the new tape,
can you please tell me if my idea of each tape libray being the
reclaim storage group of the other, will work or Kelly's proposal is
better.

I think you mean Reclaim Storage Pool rather than Reclaim Storage
Group, where the mechanism involves copying as much data to the RSP as
it can hold, and then changing the mounted tape to the current Filling
tape so that migration from the File devclass storage pool can occur
to that tape; and then the process can repeat to finally empty the
original tape or go on to other tapes.  Whereas the migration target
is supposed to be a fixed value within a consistent storage pool
hierarchy, I don't see how you could cross-point your storage pools/
libraries.  And - not to belabor the point - this is how costly human
time is spent trying to compensate for hardware expenditures that your
managers are apparently reluctant to make.  If they spent the bucks to
go with TSM, they should really commit to more disk or tape drives so
that you can realistically use the product.

   Richard Sims