ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Upgrading from J1A to E05

2008-06-19 13:15:11
Subject: [ADSM-L] Upgrading from J1A to E05
From: Fred Johanson <Fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:14:17 -0500
After years of running with 3592 model J1A mixed with model E05 mixed in a
single 3584 used by 6 TSM servers, the replacements are being delivered next
week.  At present, we have a DEVCLASS of TAPE, which has a FORMAT=3592C.  My
reading of the documentation leads me to believe that we get the full benefit
of the higher generation drives if we issue "upd dev TAPE format=35922c". At
this point, TSM will be able to read the old format, but write the new.

However, if my reading of the documentation is incorrect, I'm prepared for the
following:

1.      Define a new devc with the enhanced format.
2.      Define new stgpools with the new devc and direct everything to them.
If necessary, mark all filling tapes as reado.
3.      As volumes empty to reclamation levels, move the contents to the new
stgpools.

These three steps can be done simultaneously or separately for the different
TSM machines.

The potential kicker here is that one of my associates has read, where he can't
remember, or heard, from whom he can't remember, that we have to relabel all
volumes before we can use them.

All responses and comments much appreciated.

Fred Johanson
TSM Administrator
University of Chicago

773-702-8464