ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Server stgpool volumes and GPT

2008-06-19 12:32:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Server stgpool volumes and GPT
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:31:14 -0700
Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:
I guess I should have stated the intended platform.

I would NEVER use Windoze. This will be a RedHat Linux server. Probably
EL/ES 5.

I have see discussions of using the XFS filesystem vs. EXT2.  Any thoughts
on this?

I would recommend staying away from XFS. I've seen problems with it
trashing open files if your server suddenly crashes/loses power. I don't
think the filesystem makes a difference at all, since TSM preallocates
the space in the files. Once that happens, the filesystem is out of the
picture and all it has to deal with is the kernel buffer-cache. As of
5.5, TSM uses direct I/O so there's pretty much nothing between TSM and
the disk controller.

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354