ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Server stgpool volumes and GPT

2008-06-19 12:25:48
Subject: [ADSM-L] Server stgpool volumes and GPT
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:24:30 -0400
I saw the reply to my message (via the web interface to ADSM.ORG) from
Howard Coles.  Still not coming through via email.

>> Actually, you may get better performance out of Windows if you leave
off
>> the GPT.  You don't want really large storage pool volumes anyway, so
>> partitioning it out with 2 TB File systems, would be a good idea.  That
>> would remove another level of complexity, and overhead on the server
>> itself.  The fewer things you have between the App (TSM) and the
>> hardware the better.

>> Or, better yet, use Linux and you'll get more out of your hardware.

>> See Ya'
>> Howard

I guess I should have stated the intended platform.

I would NEVER use Windoze. This will be a RedHat Linux server. Probably
EL/ES 5.

I have see discussions of using the XFS filesystem vs. EXT2.  Any thoughts
on this?

To add to this discussion, any guidelines on the storagepool volume sizes?
  Since it will be RAID-5 at the hardware level, does it still make sense
to chop it up in chunks or should I just make a few 1TB volumes, based on
what the TSM size limit is for disk volumes.