ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Server stgpool volumes and GPT

2008-06-19 11:51:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Server stgpool volumes and GPT
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:50:06 -0700
Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:
We are putting up a "big honkin Dell server" for a new TSM server. This
box has 8=1TB internal drives.

There has been an argument going on about how to properly partition this
space, for the LZ.

We use GPT since standard tools don't like >2TB filesystems.

If we create a 6TB LZ with GPT, will TSM have a problem formatting volumes
in this space?

What is the max size of a disk storage pool volume, anyway?  I have been
scouring the Admin Guide/Reference and still haven't seen a fixed max
value.  I did Google and found an IBM document that says a lot of this
info is undocumented.

Is this with Linux or something else (Windows, Solaris, etc.)? If it's
Linux, I'd recommend going LVM and forgetting about GPT. A Linux LV's
upper limit is way above the ext3 limit. I'm not sure about the maximum
size of a TSM disk volume, but it's better to create more, smaller disk
volumes so you can have more concurrency.

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354