ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] LTO1 to LTO4 migration question

2008-06-05 11:20:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] LTO1 to LTO4 migration question
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:13:44 -0400
You have two options:

Partition the library, with LTO1 drives and media as one logical library and
LTO4 drives and media as the second. If you have ALMS, you can over-commit
slots in both libraries. If not, I'd check out as many LTO1 as possible before
partitioning and swap tapes as you migrate off the old ones.

Or - mark all LTO1 tapes read-only and check them out as you move the data off
of them. This will still be problematic, as TSM *may* shove an LTO1 tape into
an LTO4 drive in this case. This is because TSM is managing the tapes and
drives at the device class level, and you'll only have one device class in the
library. If this does happen, the tape will most likely get marked
'unavailable' because it could not be read.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc