ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data lifecycle

2008-05-30 11:14:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data lifecycle
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:11:53 -0400
On May 30, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Anil Maurya wrote:

Hi Everybody
I love this distribution. Recently come across big fight which is
better TSM or NBU (NetBackup) from management meeting. They like
lifecycle policy strategy ( Same data can have different retention
among
different pools. Like disk pool will have one week retention , onsite
tape pool will have one month retention and offsite pool will have one
year retention.) from NBU.
      My question is there anyway we can do this in TSM for same
data ?

I haven't worked with NBU, but if this mode of operation is its
practice, then NBU seems to suffer from ye olde media-oriented data
management philosophy that more modern products such as TSM have
divorced themselves from.  It seems that some vendor sales people can
readily convince customer management that an archaic scheme like this
is a wonderful thing, when in fact it is antithetical to proper data
policies.  The organizational properties of a document should not be
affected by the media on which it is stored: a bank record has a
certain level of importance and inherent retention no matter where it
is stored.  Having such data evaporate sooner because it has shifted
to a different storage pool makes little sense in the context of data
management.

TSM conforms to uniform, predictable retention policies, and allows
the movement of data across storage pools without change to such
attributes.  This is the way enterprise level data management should
be, where data can be relocated but attributes remain unchanged.

  Richard Sims