ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Reclaim Question

2008-05-15 21:00:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Reclaim Question
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:50:50 +1000
Richard

Thats an interesting explanation, but it does not seem to reflect reality,
I can remember a case of a tape that had a small amount of data added to it
every day, so that by the time we got to the end of the tape it was mostly
expired, and as soon as the tape went to FULL status it got reclaimed, but
not before.

Now this was a while ago and I can't be certain what version of TSM it was
- probably 5.2, but I do remember it happening that way. I wonder if this
changed in 5.3?

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Sydney Australia

             Richard Sims
             <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Reclaim Question

             16/05/2008 10:34
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

On May 15, 2008, at 6:20 PM, Wanda Prather wrote:

> No.
> Filling tapes aren't eligible for reclamation, unless they are marked
> OFFSITE.

Actually, volumes are eligible for reclamation regardless of siteness,
or Full/Filling state.  Technote 1202254 reinforces this.  If you set
the threshold low enough, Filling type volumes will also get
selected.  Equal treatment under the law.

    Richard Sims