ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Journal Engine install on Windows

2008-05-07 14:36:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Journal Engine install on Windows
From: Richard Mochnaczewski <Richard.Mochnaczewski AT STANDARDLIFE DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 14:35:40 -0400
IBM states that once you install journal based backups that they are NOT meant
to replace incremental backups. They recommend running a regular old fashioned
incremental to make sure all files are backed up on a  regular basis ( once a
week or once every tow weeks ).  Journal based backups are not perfect. If the
service goes down on the client or the client reboots ( because that NEVER
happens in the Windows ) , and you didn't put the service to auto start or if
it doesn't start for whatever reason, TSM will default to running an
incremental to save you, so that long backup time for that night will come back
for that backup session. Also if TSM detects that the service went down for a
short while during the day, then this essentially will have corrupted the
flatfile backup list because TSM will not know if any files were updated during
that outage . What happens when the next backup runs ? It will not be a journal
based backup, but a typical incremental will run.

Rich