ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ANS9999E Win32 RC 1450

2008-05-01 06:35:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ANS9999E Win32 RC 1450
From: "Schaub, Steve" <steve_schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 06:24:18 -0400
Steven,

I feel your pain.  Here are the steps you can take to temporarily ease
the pain while someone architects the real solution.

1. what you have done so far is correct
2. make sure you have a good list of excludes, especially directory
excludes, to reduce what has to be backed up
3. implement journal backups if you haven't already
4. given the problem of getting the backup to complete (which has to
happen in order for the journals to become valid, and therefor,
helpful), you will likely need to initially backup 1 volume at a time
manually.  The caveat is that each time the server gets rebooted, the
journals will reset and you will probably need to do this again.
5. if there are candidates for subfile backup (e.g. .pst .mdb etc)
implement it

These are all steps we had to take to get our aging, bloated windows
fileservers to limp along while we came up with a new scheme.

Good luck,

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, Windows
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee