ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to determine a drive format

2008-04-30 11:22:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to determine a drive format
From: Sung Lee <sung.lee AT WACHOVIA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:19:59 -0400
I think the best way for you to determine the correct drive format is to
issue command similar in Red Hat similar to AIX lscfg -vl rmt*.
>From the output, you can tell which rmt are LTO2 and which are LTO3.  From
there then you can define the drive from TSM server according to what
format you want.

If  I am not mistaken where it says should not use FORMAT=DRIVE applies if
you have one tape library with multi LTO2/LTO3 tape drives.
Since you have two libraries, you should be able to use FORMAT=DRIVES with
predictability.

As for initialization error message, that's whole different story.   From
the OS check if you can see SMC# for the library in question, and make
sure the q library path is defined to this path.  Also if the problem
continues look to see if you have ruled out hardware problems
(cable/library/scsi /fibre)

Sung Y.  Lee

Mario Behring <mariobehring AT YAHOO DOT COM>
04/30/2008 12:38 AM

Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] How to determine a drive format

Hi list,

I have two libraries connected to a TSM 5.2.2 Server running on a Red Hat.

Library LIBLTO1 is a 3583L18 with 3 LTO2 drives and LIBLTO2 is an ULT3582
with 2 LTO2 drives.

The Linux Admin manual says that I should not use FORMAT=DRIVE on both
libraries when issuing the DEFINE DEVCLASS command, because the results
can be unpredictable.

How do I determine which is the correct drive format (ultriumc for
instance)?

I had only one library with three drives....now that there is another one
with 2...TSM is not working properly...I keep getting the following errors
at the ACT log:

04/29/2008 07:00:15   ANR8441E Initialization failed for SCSI library
LIBLTO1.
 PM                    (PROCESS: 14)
04/29/2008 07:00:15   ANR8460E AUDIT LIBRARY process for library LIBLTO1
failed.
 PM                    (PROCESS: 14)
04/29/2008 07:00:15   ANR0985I Process 14 for AUDIT LIBRARY running in the
 PM                    BACKGROUND completed with completion state FAILURE
at
                       07:00:15 PM. (PROCESS: 14)

Any help is appreciated.

Mario