ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How do I get TDPO to send controlfiles to SBT_TAPE instead of DISK?

2008-04-23 14:51:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How do I get TDPO to send controlfiles to SBT_TAPE instead of DISK?
From: Dan Foster <tronic183 AT EVILPHB DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:49:40 -0400
Hot Diggety! Steve Stackwick was rumored to have written:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Dan Foster <tronic183 AT evilphb DOT org>
> wrote:
> >  My setup:
> >
> >  TSM server (Enterprise) 5.5 on AIX 5.2.
> >  TDPO 5.4.1 on Solaris 10/SPARC and Oracle 10gR2.
> >

> Do you really have TSM 5.5 running on AIX 5.2? I wondered if that
> would work, and kind of thought it would, but Tivoli sez u need AIX
> 5.3. Just wondering.

There's two kinds of 'work':

        - 'probably technically works but you're on your own'
                                vs.
        - '20 foot wall of flames will erupt if you attempt it'

IBM's statement in this particular case is more of the former,
presumably partly to reduce costs in regression testing (amongst many
other valid reasons). And, of course, if you hit a bug with such a
setup, they're unlikely to fix it or even give the time of the day.

The $65,536 question: Why did I put 5.5 on AIX 5.2?

Simple: I was a little too hasty in reading the min requirements, a rare
departure for my character. :) I always, with that one glaring exception,
stick to supported revs for everything.

Why not backout? A lengthy maint moratorium amongst other things in my
environment made it more practical to just stay put.

With that said:

# lslpp -l tivoli.tsm.server.aix5.rte64
  Fileset                      Level  State      Description
                             5.5.0.0  COMMITTED  IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 64
                                                 bit Server Runtime

                             5.5.0.0  COMMITTED  IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 64
                                                 bit Server Runtime

# oslevel
5.2.0.0

(It's actually at 5.2 ML9 + some patches)

I haven't seen any issues so far, though I would not recommend doing
this to anyone except the truly desperate. It's by far better to stay
supported for the server side. You can usually get away with downrev
clients past the officially supported revs, but server [and support] is
too important to risk for most folks.

Then there's that TSM server revs may have some relation to device
support of the underlying AIX OS, particularly for newer devices.
In my case, I hadn't changed anything else, so got by with that.

I'm looking to bring the server up to a newer AIX version soon to
resolve this uncomfortable position. Last, but not the least, I've also
been duly thwacked by colleagues with multiple copies of the old ADSM
3.1 printed manuals to serve as a reminder to be more careful and
diligent in my reading. :) Sure deserved that.

-Dan