ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] share library, restrict vol-ser ranges

2008-04-16 11:00:30
Subject: [ADSM-L] share library, restrict vol-ser ranges
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:58:03 -0400
When an automated tape library is shared between TSM instances, do
the library manager and the library client(s) necessarily see all the
tapes in the library? Is there a configuration that will restrict a
library client to seeing and using only a specific range of vol-
sers?  We prefer to share drives, but not tapes. Is that possible?

We have server to server communications between TSM servers in
Bloomington and Indianapolis. The servers are at level 5.4.0.3
running on RHEL 4. There is an IBM TS3500 model 3584 tape library
with ALMS at each data center.

To date we are only backing up Bloomington clients with TSM, with the
copy pool on the 3584 at Indianapolis. But, we are adding TSM
instances to the same physical hardware in Indianapolis and
Bloomington to backup Indianapolis clients with the copy pool in
Bloomington.  So, each 3584 will contain backup files belonging to
primary tape pools written by one of the local library clients and
archive objects/virtual volumes belonging to the copy pool of the
remote TSM instance written by the other local library client.

We would prefer to have different vol-ser ranges on the 3584s for the
four pool sets. Each logical library on a 3584 would be assigned
cartridges in two ranges. Then, the TSM libraries on each TSM
instance would be restricted so they could only see one of the vol-
ser ranges. At the same time, we need to share all the tape drives on
the 3584s. Can all this be done?

With my thanks and best wishes,
Keith Arbogast
Indiana University