ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5 server in larger environments?

2008-04-10 12:44:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5 server in larger environments?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:42:49 -0500
Running 5.5.0.0 AIX Server since about New Years. Had one sequence of
two crashes in a row, but other than that very stable over 3 months of
very heavy production use. We have a 283GB database, backing up about
2TB/night.

New features in 5.5 proved their value in our January disaster recovery
situation. So I see mostly upside, and no downside, to 5.5. Version
5.5.0.0 AIX Server is very clean and stable. (I only wish the 5.5
clients were as good ...but that's another story.)

Only problem was that when migrating from 5.3 to 5.5, the automatic
install procedure failed to do the required UPGRADEDB. But this was
obvious to detect, and it was easy to run the UPGRADEDB manually, so I
consider it to be no big deal. Just beware it could happen to you and be
ready to do it manually if necessary.

               Academic Computing & Communications Center