ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Stats

2008-04-07 20:48:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Stats
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:47:30 -0500
Taylor, David wrote:

> In answer to getting nightly backup volume, I use the following
> (AIX/Korn shell) to get both total for the night and individual node's
> data.  The reason for the loop on a single node is due to some
> file-systems being so huge that run a simple "dsmc inc" would kill the
> box - so I backup each file-system individually.

Without actually writing up any code, I'd offer a couple tips for
improving on the below.  First, run a single select statement and and
save the output to a file; this reduced processing load on the TSM
server.  Include the node_name and domain_name fields in the select.
You can then pull whatever data you need from that file much more
quickly.  Second, use the -TABdelimited or -COMMAdelimited option on
the dsmadmc run to make the output more easily machine-parsable.

Between those two things, you can easily run multiple canned or one-off
reports on the same data, or you can import the data into another app
(e.g. Excel or MySQL) and work with it however you like.  Having the
domain_name included allows you to run reports by policy domain as well
as node name.

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa