ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Removing Oracle TDP data from TSM (rebinding data to new MC's?)

2008-04-03 10:52:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Removing Oracle TDP data from TSM (rebinding data to new MC's?)
From: Neil Rasmussen <rasmussn AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:48:26 -0700
As a starting point....

First check to make sure the TSM node for your Oracle backups have
backdel=yes...in the past Oracle/RMAN would remove the backups from the
RMAN catalog prior to checking to see if the TSM delete operation was
actually successful...I believe Oracle has changed this behavior in later
releases. You can use TDPOSYNC to verify what is out of sync. This tool
looks to see what TSM backups exist on the TSM Server that Oracle/RMAN is
not aware of and allows you to remove these backups from the TSM Server.
Be careful when using this utility, especially if you manage more than one
Oracle node on the TSM Server, as TDPOSYNC may report many objects
out-of-sync when in reality you may not have queried against the correct
DB Instance in RMAN.

Regards,

Neil Rasmussen
IBM Corporation
Almaden Research Center
650 Harry Road
San Jose, CA 95120-6099
Phone: 408.927.2206 (T/L: 457-2206)
rasmussn AT us.ibm DOT com

Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT ITAA DOT NL>
04/03/2008 07:29 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Removing Oracle TDP data from TSM (rebinding data to new MC's?)

Hi guy's,

I am running into a strange but pretty serieus problem at one of our
customers.
Capacity is at the limit and I need to fix this issue fast but am at a
los at the moment..

There were some wrong policy domains settings that were used to backup
Oracle TDP data.
I have fixed this issue and put the deleted versions and day's to 0 in
the MC.
The Oracle DBA tells me rman is deleting it's old data, but I still see
data in the system when I look with 'show versions <node> *', data that
should have been removed a long time ago (months ago that is).

I suspect this has something to do with bindings to wrong MC's, the
question is can this be true? And if so, how can I fix this?

Or is the DBA wrong and not deleting the old data correctly?

Please advise.

Regards,

  Stefan