ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] deleting volumes with data on tapes

2008-03-31 00:20:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] deleting volumes with data on tapes
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:18:55 -0600
When you say secondary pool, do you mean copy pool?  If these are copy
pool tapes, you can simply delete them and the next time a backup
stgpool operation is run on the primary pool, the data will be backed up
again.

I'm pretty sure you mean that these tapes belong to a copy storage pool.
To verify, though, you can issue a query stgpool f=d on the pool these
tapes belong to and look for the pooltype parameter.

Really, the only issue deleting copy pool volumes is if they are offsite
and after you delete them and before you run the backup stgpool command
and remove the latest tapes, you have a situation where a disaster could
leave you without data.  SO be a little bit careful.  You know Mr.
Murhpy and his law...

Thanks,

Kelly Lipp
CTO