ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TDP for Oracle upgrade query

2008-03-27 23:39:01
Subject: [ADSM-L] TDP for Oracle upgrade query
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:37:45 +1100
Hi all

Upgrading TDP for Oracle on AIX (64 bit) from 5.3.1 to 5.4.1.  AIX is 5.2
TL10, Oracle is 10g2, TSM API is already at 5.4.1.2

The instructions in the manual are, as usual, for an initial install rather
than an upgrade.  During an initial install, all the oracle instances need
to be taken down as the libobk.a  module has to be symlinked to
/usr/lib/libobk.a which is in turn symlinked to the same file in the TDP
directory.

For an upgrade, I'm thinking that the module should change transparently
underneath the running oracle instances.

1. Is it possible to upgrade with oracle running.
2. Is it possible to refresh the updated modules in the running oracle
instance?  The slibclean command comes to mind as a means of doing this.

I am trying to avoid any outage, but if one must be done I'd prefer to do
the install, bounce a small instance to prove it works, then bounce the
other oracle instances on the box one at a time.

How do you normally do this.

Regards

Steve.

Steven Harris
Tivoli Storage Manager SME
Backup & Recovery Team
Storage Services Group
Cumberland Forest

Phone:
IBM Internal :70-75130  External:02 9407 5130
Mobile: 0422 932 065