ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Looooooooooong distance backups

2008-03-18 16:01:41
Subject: [ADSM-L] Looooooooooong distance backups
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:00:12 -0400
We at VCU (Richmond, VA) have a "campus" at Doha, Qatar  (approximate
distance is 7K miles.

We are discussing the viability/possibility of having TSM clients in Qatar
backing up to our TSM servers, here in Richmond!

Is this possible?  Feasible?

What are the implication of such a long distance backup?

Anybody else doing this kinda thing?

I gather we would probably need to do things like encryption (who knows
how many countries/routers the link would go through) as well as CRC
checking!

I also question the legality/licensing/export issue?

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Suggestions?  War-Stories?