ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] backed up nodes

2008-03-17 07:06:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] backed up nodes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:04:34 -0400
On Mar 16, 2008, at 9:51 PM, Avy Wong wrote:

What started my question to ask this forum's expert is suddenly I
was told
that I have to keep track of all the nodes being backed up on tivoli.
I still have to clarify with IBM licensing if this is to do with nodes
currently being backed up on tivoli based on processes? ip, or node
names
etc.. We have so many nodes moving on and off tivoli, that if
currently
being backed up is the key, then there has to be a way that running a
simple command can help me get an idea.  I thought simply 'q
occupancy '
just tells you the total storage occupied on each node. The node could
easily occupied storage space but no longer being backed up. Sorry
about
the confusion.

Avy -

I think the only confusion is the uncertainty itself of trying to
remotely ascertain the status of a TSM client, from server-side
evidence.  In my judgement, if a client has committed its data to TSM
storage pools, recently or not, then it is a TSM user - and is
consuming a client license.  Abandoned data is an allied issue we all
have to deal with, as a computer may be retired without informing the
TSM server administrator.  This is where regular reports come into
play, where a weekly or monthly report is produced from TSM
accounting data or via commercial software, emailed to the client
administrators of record.  Conscientious client administrators will
respond regarding obsolete nodes and filespace.  Sometimes client
admins will disappear: eventually, the emailed reports will then
start bouncing back to you, and you can take procedural action.

   Richard Sims