ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] exclude.dir .directory

2008-03-14 11:48:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] exclude.dir .directory
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:47:17 -0400
In the Unix environment, it is a convention (only) that a file or
directory whose name begins with a dot (period) is considered a
"hidden" file.  An application program may or may not observe this
convention, and may or may not reveal or process such files.  The
'ls' and 'rm' commands are known to observe this convention.

It is not the case that the operating system or the file system in
any way treats dot-lead filenames as special.  Any directory
traversal mechanism (e.g., the basic readdir() system call) will
encounter them, and can operate on them.

No TSM Unix Backup/Archive documentation mentions hidden files, or
indicates that dot-lead files will be treated specially.  In my years
of working with the product, I've always seen it treat dot-lead file
system entries the same as all other file system objects: they are
backed up, and can be restored.  And tests under AIX and Linux show
EXCLUDE.DIR as happily excluding a dot-lead directory name as it does
an ordinary name, with no special quoting necessary.  Should any
situation deviate from the norm, it would be something worth
investigating. with a client trace if necessary.

   Richard Sims