ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Full policy

2008-03-13 09:43:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Full policy
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:35:29 -0500
I would explain to them very clearly that every backup is equivalent to a full
backup, but only the files that have really changed, and not just archive bit
change, are backed up.  Help them understand how TSM tracks every file
individually and that 30 days retention is more than doable.

Or, you could do what I've done and just tell them that any day of the week you
do backups, you can restore the server to just what it looked like at the time
of the backup for that day for all of the 30 days they require.  Then, setup
the retention for 30 days and 30 versions and you'll be set.  Both of you will
have what you want and need.

Many people say "FULL" because that's all they understand.  However, I've never
seen a regulation that actually stated anything of the kind.

See Ya'
Howard