ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] 3494 and 3592 WORM media

2008-03-12 10:26:16
Subject: [ADSM-L] 3494 and 3592 WORM media
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:24:40 -0400
I have a client that wants to start using WORM tapes for specific nodes/data.
They are TSM 5.4.2.0 on Winders2003 SP2, 3494 library
and 3592 (TS1120) drives. Reading the manuals/redbooks it seems to activate
this:

- Change WORMSCRATCHCATEGORY= on the library definition
- Create a DEVCLASS with WORM=YES
- Create my stgpool(s) to the new WORM devclass
- Checkin WORM media (JR, JW)

What just isn't connecting is how does TSM know a regular scratch tape from a
WORM scratch tape? When I insert tapes in the 3494
they go in to the insertion category and then checkin "claims" those volumes
for TSM. Does TSM and the checkin command recognize the
JR/JW and assigns them to the WORMSCRATCHCATEGORY?

And is there a way to identify which are WORM scratch tapes vs. regular scratch
tapes? We have scripts in TOR that alert when the
scratch tape count drops below a minimum.

TIA,
Bill Boyer
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we go bald." - ??