ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] sql server restore to different server

2008-03-10 04:31:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] sql server restore to different server
From: Jeff White <Jeff.White AT WOOLWORTHS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:30:35 -0000
Geoff

Not sure if you have had any success with this - i only read you post
this morning.

I've been through this procedure several times - this is what i have
done:

RESTORE TO ANOTHER SERVER - example SERVER1 to SERVER2
I can restore server MYSQL to server SERVER2.
Logon to SERVER2 server.
Opt file: (typically) c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\tdpsql\dsm.opt
Change the nodename parameter in DSM.OPT to SERVER1. I also need the
TDPSQL.CFG file to show the correct nodename.

Now change file c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\tdpsql\tdpsql.cfg
Exact procedure for TDPSQL.CFG is
        Leave SQLSERVER blank.
This parameter specifies the SQL server that TDP for SQL logs onto. For
restore operations, this is the SQL server that backup objects are
restored to. However, if the backup objects were created from a
different SQL server, you must use the /FROMSQLSERVER parameter (next)
        Change FROMSQLSERVER to SERVER1
For restore operations, this parameter specifies the SQL server from
which the objects were backed up from. It is only used when the name of
the SQL server to restore to is different from the SQL server that
backed up the objects.
When I start the GUI, it DEFAULTS to the BACKUP DATABASES tab and when
expanded, will show the name of the LOCAL SERVER, which of course I
don't want.

Click on the RESTORE DATABASES tab and expand the tree from there. I
will then see the SERVER FROM WHICH I WISH TO RESTORE.

If you want to restore a database that is not the latest backup, then
click on ACTIVE and INACTIVE Files button.

Click the database you wish to restore and the REPLACE button, assuming
the database already exists

Click RESTORE

Note:
Restoral times: Before 2005: The larger the database being restored, the
more time is required, as the DB file "container" is recreated on disk,
with pre-formatting, before its contents can be restored. For example,
you restore a 200gb database, which may take several hours. The TDP
waits around for the MSSQL work to complete before the TDP can proceed.
(Boosting the TSM COMMTimeout value is advised.) This should improve in
SQL Server 2005, where SQL Server must still allocate the file space
before doing a database restore, but the time-consuming initialization
of database pages is no longer required.

When the restore is complete, don't forget to change the DSM.OPT and
TDPSQL.CFG  back to what they were.

Hope this helps