ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape drive zones for FC drives - best practices

2008-03-07 13:34:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape drive zones for FC drives - best practices
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:33:40 -0500
Well, for what it's worth --

I have a 3584, 16 LTO drives (10 LTO4, 6 LTO2), and two SAN switches.

I have all the odd-numbered drives in switch 1 and all the even numbered drives
in switch 2.

My TSM server has 8 fibers for tape access - 4 in each switch. I've set up 4
zones in each switch - one per TSM server fiber - with all 8 drives assigned in
each zone.

And this does give 64 tape devices at the AIX level. The 16 base devices
(-PRI) are the rmtx devices used in the TSM define path construct.

In peak periods, all 8 paths get beat up pretty heavily, but not so much that
more paths look like they'd help any.

(I'm using MRTG to capture the traffic statistics by port on the switches and
then tying the switch ports back to the devices attached at the other end).

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc