ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM has built-in encryption?

2008-03-06 11:18:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM has built-in encryption?
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:03:12 -0500
The TSM clients (including TDP's) can encrypt at AES 256.  You take a hit on
performance for both backup and restore; you need to also turn on
compression on the client, as encrypted data can't be compressed by the tape
drive.

If you want to encrypt using the backup client, I STRONGLY recommend you
upgrade to 5.5, where the TSM server manages the keys for you.  Prior to
that level, you have to maintain the keys manually; if you lose the keys and
have to go to a DR site, you won't get your data back.  At 5.5, the keys are
generated randomly and maintained in the TSM data base.  (The TDP's have the
keys managed by the TSM data base starting at 5.3; for regular clients, that
feature starts at 5.5).

A better/cleaner method is encrypting outboard in the hardware.  Look into
upgrading your drives to LTO4; then (with an additional feature code on your
3584) you can do the encryption outboard, with no performance hit.  TSM can
still maintain the keys for you, if you want, or you can use an external key
manager that IBM provides.

Whether or not you can encrypt data that goes to your VTL outboard depends
on your VTL vendor.