ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server 5.3.3.0->5.4.1.1...no problem?

2008-02-28 15:00:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server 5.3.3.0->5.4.1.1...no problem?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:59:57 -0600
Just Monday, I upgraded a customer's twin TSM servers from 5.3.2.2 to
5.4.2.0. Multiple instances of TSM existed on each physical server, and
the TSM installation process automatically upgraded all existing
databases. There were two 130GB databases, and the upgrade on each of
them took about 5 minutes each.

Device driver upgrades went similarly well, and everything was both
hunky and dorey.

--
Mark Stapleton
CDW Berbee

Of
> Richard Rhodes
> Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:46 AM
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server 5.3.3.0->5.4.1.1...no problem?
>
> Before we perform a major upgrade on our TSM servers, we do a test
> upgrade.
> We do a backup to disk,  restore the backup to a test server (at the
> proper
> aix/tsm versions), then perform the upgrade.  Care must be taken not
> allow
> server-to-server communications (bogus ip addresses in the hosts
file),
> Of course, when you start the test instance it gets all kinds of
errors
> for
> all the missing pools/drives/etc, but it proves the upgrade process
and
> gives
> a good estimated time that theupgrade will take.  Plus, it's great
> practice!
>
> Rick
>

>              Anker Lerret
>              <ADSM-L AT LERRET DOT US
>              >
>              Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>              Dist Stor
cc
>              Manager"
>              <[email protected]