ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Vaulting backupset tapes

2008-02-15 14:00:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] Vaulting backupset tapes
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:00:14 -0500
We have a 5.3.4.0 TSM server running under zSeries Linux. We have
been asked to generate backup sets for a number of nodes and send
the output tapes offsite. I updated the script that manages tape
ejects to find the output tapes, execute 'checkout libvolume'
commands for them, and include them in the list of outgoing tapes
mailed to our tape librarians. The script finds the volumes by
selecting volhistory records with the appropriate type and with
command fields that match our conventions for naming backup sets
that will be vaulted. This worked fine until we generated a backup
set that required two volumes. Only the first volume was ejected. I
eventually discovered that the command field was null in the volume
history record for the second volume.

Is the null command field considered a bug? If so, what server
level has the fix?

What is the best way of finding all the volumes for a given backup
set? The only idea I have come up with so far is to correlate the
times listed in the SQL tables for backup sets and volume history
records. Will these always be the same for a given backup set?
They match for the backup sets we have created so far, but that
may just mean we have never had the system clock roll to the next
second between the creation of backup set records and the creation
of volume history records.