ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files

2008-02-14 12:23:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:22:42 -0700
As has been noted already, subfile backup was originally targeted mainly
for remote workstation/laptop users coming in over slower network
connections. Most of these users (so we thought) would not be dealing with
such large files. While subfile can technically be used in higher
bandwidth networking environments or on server-class systems, this was not
the target TSM client type for subfile backup.

The subfile cache contains "reference" files, not necessarily
byte-for-byte copies of the original file.

- If the file is smaller than 1 KB, it is deemed to small to make subfile
worthwhile, so the whole file gets backed up.

- If the file is larger than 2 GB, it is deemed too large for subfile, so
the whole file gets backed up. In theory the upper size limit could be
raised, but the work involved is bigger than a breadbox and not in plan at
this time.

So in the above cases, no reference file is created in the subfile cache.
OTHERWISE...

- If the file is under 3 MB, the reference file will include a
byte-for-byte copy of the original base file.

- If the file is larger than 3 MB, "block signatures" are used to create
the reference file, to keep it to a smaller size. it is NOT a
byte-for-byte copy of the file.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/13/2008
09:04:31 PM: