ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files

2008-02-14 11:23:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:15:58 -0500
At 11:04 PM 2/13/2008, Wanda Prather wrote:
Subfile backup was designed to work on laptops, not servers.

Yes, that is what we are trying to do.  Sam, on the other hand....

The "base" or initial backup copy of a file is stored in a cache directory
on the client, which is also limited in size to 2 GB.

I didn't realize the cache directory was limited in size and that it held
complete copies of files.  Checking this, it seems you may be correct about
full copies of files being made in the cache directory.  The size of the
cache directory is only 1GB according to the Users Guide, and that is what
the EditPreferences GUI restricts you to as well....  I don't understand
how subfile backup can work for files up to 2GB in size, if the
subfilecachesize is restricted to 1024 MB.

In short, you can only manage a total of about 2 GB of files for subfile
backup, and only files less than 2 GB in size are eligible.

Bummer.  Thanks Wanda.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521