ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] max mount point exceeded for a node

2008-02-06 15:13:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] max mount point exceeded for a node
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 15:13:11 -0500
-----Richard Rhodes wrote: -----

>We have a server that is using  Oracle/Rman/TDPO/LanFree backups.
>The node is set to allow 2 mount points.  Yesterday at the start
>of a backup TSM threw out an error saying that channel 2 could not
>be allocated because the node had exceeded it's mount points:

When my site started using TDPO we regularly saw similar failures.
We never figured out why TDPO needed so many mount points, but
we now configure TDPO client nodes to allow two mount points per
backup stream, and almost never run out of mount points. As far
as I can tell, the rare cases where we do run out of mount points
involve recovery from interrupted TCP sessions.

I should note that our backups are written to sequential disk
volumes. I would probably be a lot more worried about the extra
mount points if we were sending backups directly to tape.