ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM DR restore query

2008-02-04 11:43:38
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM DR restore query
From: Neil Sharp <tsmrocks AT GOOGLEMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:28:05 +0000
Hello I was wondering if anybody could help or advise with the following
question.

I need to devise a solution to speed up DR for one of my customers.
Currently their DR solution is the classic restore from TSM DB tape and then
load all of the off site tapes into the DR library and then perform the
client restores. The problem is that the TSM DB restore can take in the
region of 5 hours. The TSM DB is 45GB.

I was thinking of using the following method. Can any one see any issues
with this?

*On the primary TSM server:*

They have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition TSM server. I am proposing that we
set up TSM DB and log mirroring, one copy on local disk and the second copy
on SAN attached disk.

*On the DR site:*

They also have a TSM 2003 Standard Edition TSM server. When DR is to be
tested / invoked, I would propose that they re-zone the DR TSM server to
access the LUN that contains the DB and logs. Ensure that the DR TSM
server's dsmserv.dsk points to the mapped drives.

Note the the TSM tape library is also SAN attached.

Any comments / experiences would be appreciated.