ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DISASTER: How to do a LOT of restores?

2008-01-29 15:14:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DISASTER: How to do a LOT of restores?
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:09:28 -0500
Putting my TSM knowledge together with my knowledge of how databases
work, I come up with the following understanding:

Each version of each file has an entry in the database.  That entry
stores all the info about the file (size, mtime, any CRC values, etc., a
unique identifier used in other parts of the database).

Each version of each file is stored in one or more aggregates.  Each
aggregate also has a record in the database that contains info about
that aggregate, which would include the size of the aggregate, where it
is stored, and what files are stored in that aggregate.

This is analogous to a Unix filesystem in that a file does not know what
directory it's in.  The directory knows which files are in it. The file
knows its permissions, size, and access times, and the directory knows
its permissions and access times -- and what files are in that
directory. (A lot of people don't realize that in Unix, a directory is
just a different type of file that stores the names of other files.)

How'd I do?

BTW, is there a TSM internals redbook that I could read?  Most of what I
find is administration stuff that doesn't really address this kind of
detail.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies