ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 2ND TSM Instance Question

2008-01-21 16:22:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 2ND TSM Instance Question
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:21:44 -0500
I agree that the 2 relevant criteria are
1) can you get everything you need done in a 24 hour period and
2) how long is it going to take your to restore your DB if you have to?

Generally if you can back it up in 35 minutes, assume it will take 70 min to
restore (not including the time to format the space).  Even better, grab a
test box somewhere and TEST how long your restore takes in your
environment.  I think 35 min for DB backup is quite modest and no reason to
split the DB.

The answer to your 2nd question is yes, a 2nd instance gives you 2 separate
TSM servers, just as though they were on 2 physically separate machines;
plus you will need to implement library sharing, etc.  Avoid that complexity
as long as it is practical to do so.

FWIW, before you spend the $$ on an 8-way, do some monitoring with TOPAS "C"
to see how many of your 4 processors are currently in use.  4 faster
processors might very well be enough.