ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] 2ND TSM Instance Question

2008-01-21 14:04:36
Subject: [ADSM-L] 2ND TSM Instance Question
From: "Lamb, Charles P." <cplamb AT NPPD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:04:12 -0600
Hi..........

What is the criteria that tells a person that a 2nd TSM instance is
needed??  Our TSM consultant is saying we are close to needing a 2nd TSM
instance since our DB has 23+ million pages.  The DB backup runs about
35 minutes.

Our TSM System is as follows:

AIX 5.3 ML7 SP1
TSM 5.3.4.2
IBM 9133-55A 4-WAY w/16GB of memory
IBM 3584-L32/D32 w/14-LTO2 tape drives directly FC connected
IBM FAStT700 with 1GB SAN using 3TB for DB, log and disk cache

IT Management has authorized having a 8-way RISC w/64GB of memory, 2GB
SAN system and replacing the LTO2 with LTO3 tape drives/LTO3 tapes.
Doesn't a 2nd instance cause 2 operational schemes (on-site and off-site
tapes) of two TSM systems??