ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM v5.5 feedback: [TSM 5.5 works well for our busy LibMgr TSM on AIX 5.3]

2008-01-16 12:46:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM v5.5 feedback: [TSM 5.5 works well for our busy LibMgr TSM on AIX 5.3]
From: James R Owen <Jim.Owen AT YALE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:45:24 -0500
Look *out*!  There might be *D A N G E R* ahead  [or maybe not;*]
[there's a smiley for you, Mark S:-), and SomeMoreS @ the bottom]

After consolidating tape library management at a new TSM service
[moved from two production TSM backup services a few days before
Charlotte announced IBM's RedPaper showing another way to do it],
we upgraded that TSM service to 5.5.0 (from 5.3.4.2 and have seen
no problems running (on AIX 5.3) since Saturday, 1/12/2008 00:05.

Our upgraded LibMgr TSM service manages two IBM 3584 libraries,
each sharing 3+4*LTO1, 8+8*LTO2, and 8+16*LTO3 drives to five
other production TSM backup services (all still running 5.3.4.2)
on three other AIX 5.3 systems.  [Client groups are starting to
test backups and restores w/upgraded TST TSM also running there.
No bad news, so far... will send an update if we find a problem.]

TSM 5.5.0 better manages usage of our various LTO drives even
when we have more mount requests scheduled than we have drives.
Sometimes, with TSM 5.3, "available" drives were unusable because
drives were reserved inappropriately for processes that required
two drives, but could only get one!  That bug seems to be fixed.

If you use TSM library sharing and have not yet setup your library
manager to run as a separately upgradeable TSM service, you might
consider doing that to enable a staged lower-risk TSM 5.5 upgrade.
--
Jim.Owen AT Yale DOT Edu   (203.432.6693)
NEVER... NEVER... can leave you living with yesterday's problems !-(

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Just wanted to know if anyone's made the jump. We got in a new server
and will be moving from v5.3.1.2 to 5.4 or 5.5. Just wanted to know
what your thoughts were on migrating?

The upgrades from 5.3.X upward should go smoothly. Follow the
instructions in the relevant TSM server installation guide.

The first maintenance level for TSM server 5.5 has yet to appear, and I
NEVER install base code of anything in a production environment. 80% of
bugs are in base code.

In a similar vein, I NEVER install a patch level of TSM in a production
environment unless I'm trying to fix a specific problem associated with
that patch. Patches are not nearly as thoroughly tested as maintenance
levels.

In other words, you should be installing 5.4.2.0 on your TSM server. TSM
server 5.3.X.X goes out of support on 30 April 2008.

Use and abuse.

--
Mark Stapleton
CDW Berbee