ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ? how to backup Cyrus email to minimize restore times ?

2008-01-11 15:06:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ? how to backup Cyrus email to minimize restore times ?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:05:49 -0500
On Jan 11, 2008, at 7:30 AM, James R Owen wrote:

Current testing indicates that a DR restore of a single 200GB FS
from TSM continuous incremental backups on LTO3 tapes will probably
take longer than a week to complete!

Jim -

You don't list the premises upon which that conclusion is based, so
we don't have an understanding of your derivation of that number.
With a appropriate collocation, reclamation, Image backups - and
opportunities presented with an Active-data Pool - I should think
that restoral time could be much more reasonable.  Geographically
separated replication is another service restoration opportunity in
the event of disaster.

Cyrus data handling by TSM is largely just the old Many Small Files
situation that we have to deal with in various contexts, with the
added requirement of consistency of message files and their
database.  If the restoration data rate is substantially less than
the backup rate, then there are likely client-side impediments which
would need to be addressed.

   Richard Sims