ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] TSM Monitoring

2008-01-11 08:59:08
Subject: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] TSM Monitoring
From: Thomas Rupp <Thomas.Rupp AT ILLWERKE DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:58:21 +0100
TSM Server: Windows 5.3.2.1

I had looked into SNMP but found it hard/impossible in our
environment to implemend.
The Windows Installation Guide states:

"The subagent communicates with the snmpd daemon, which in turn communicates
with a management application. The snmpd daemon must support the DPI® protocol.
Agents are available on AIX."
So if your TSM doesn't run on AIX you would need an additional AIX server just
to implement SNMP.

We use another approach:
To get the "SNMP traps" we let TSM send the filtered messages to the eventlog.
A freeware takes this messages and sends them to our syslog server which
forwards
them to NAGIOS.

To query TSM values (failed client schedules, log utilization, db utilization,
free scratch tapes, tapes with errors, online drives, online paths ..) and
create
graphics for some of them we use some NAGIOS scripts that can easily be found
at
nagiosexchange.

The setup needed some time but now we are happy with the results.

If you need further infromation I would be glad to be of service.

Thomas Rupp